Facility Maintenance Technician
Company: Arapahoe County
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Perform a variety of skilled and unskilled manual labor duties
associated with the maintenance of County grounds, buildings and
equipment. Work is of a changing nature and initiative must be used
to be able to handle different situations as necessary.
* Performs maintenance and repairs of county buildings and property
in any of the following areas: dry-wall, plumbing, painting and
electrical, routine utilization of the computerized maintenance
management system (CMMS), window replacement, roofing, lock
replacement, and grounds maintenance. May include assisting
custodial or HVAC as needed.
* Oversees small projects assigned by the area Maintenance
Supervisor from start to finish.
* Transports materials and furniture to and from storage and the
worksite. Prepares rooms for conferences and meetings, including
moving furniture and equipment.
* Repairs, cleans, lubricates and stores maintenance tools and
* Maintains County grounds as requested by performing duties such
as mowing, weeding, sprinkler repairs and adjustments, planting and
watering and maintaining trees and shrubs.
* Assists with quarterly and year-end material inventory, inventory
and tracking of small tools.
* Sweeps sidewalks and removes snow on sidewalk entrances to
buildings using hand tools or maintenance vehicle with snow plow.
Removes snow from parking lots and other public thoroughfares;
spreads salt or sand onto driving or walking surfaces.
* Position is deemed essential and incumbent must be available for
winter storm emergencies and available to work on an on-call on a
rotation basis which requires evening, holidays and weekends.
* Escorts Performs other duties as assigned. visiting contractors
through facilities as needed.
Skills and Abilities:
* Ability to effectively communicate in English language, both
verbally and in writing.
* Ability to perform strenuous manual labor as required for
extended periods of time, under adverse working conditions.
* Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
with supervisors, other employees and the general public.
* Ability to use hand and power tools in a safe manner.
* Knowledge of safety rules, regulations and practices.
* Collaboration: Develops cooperation and teamwork while
participating in a group, working with and through others toward
solutions which generally benefit all involved parties.
* Composure: Is cool under pressure; does not become defensive or
irritated when times are tough; is considered mature; can be
counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle
stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; doesn't show
frustration when resisted or blocked; is a settling influence in a
* Following Directions: The ability to effectively hear,
understand, and follow directions or instructions; the willingness
to postpone making personal decisions, or taking action, until one
has openly listened to what one is being asked to do.
* Perseverance: Pursues everything with energy, drive, and a need
to finish; seldom gives up before finishing, especially in the face
of resistance or setbacks.
* Respect for Others: Demonstrates respect for others regardless of
position or individual differences.
* Teamwork/Cooperation: Working effectively with team/work group or
those outside formal line of authority (e.g., peers, senior
managers) to accomplish organizational goals; taking actions that
respect the needs and contributions of others; contributing to and
accepting the consensus.
Education and Experience:
* High School diploma or GED equivalent and
* Three (3) + year prior experience in building maintenance in a
corporate, non-profit or government complex performing duties such
as plumbing, electrical and general repair.
* A combination of education and experience.
* Possession of a valid Class "R" Colorado Driver's License or the
ability to obtain one within two weeks of appointment.
* Must successfully pass pre-employment physical, drug screen,
background and motor vehicle check.
* Will also require post-hire fingerprinting, a CBI background
check and successfully completing bi-annual Colorado Justice
Information System training.
* Position is deemed essential and incumbents must be available for
winter storm or other emergency events and available to work on an
on-call rotational basis which requires evening, holidays and
* Work locations and facilities are subject to change based on
Contacts are with superiors, peers, subordinates, elected
officials, users, and/or vendors. Contacts require the ability to
exercise a high degree of interpersonal skills to influence persons
at all levels. Incumbent is accountable for the results of the
* Work is performed both indoors and outdoors with exposure to hot
and cold outside temperatures, dust, grease, chemicals, fumes,
* Hazards present in this position are inherent in occupational
areas including some HVAC, electrical, plumbing and carpentry.
* Primary work environment is in extremely high security facilities
in which there is occasional physical safety concerns (detention
facility) and frequent exposure to highly emotional inmates,
citizens or justice system participants.
The following are some of the physical demands commonly associated
with this position.
* Spends 20% the time sitting and 80% of the time either standing
* Frequently lifts, carries, pushes or pulls up to 80 lbs. Uses
cart, dolly or other equipment to carry in excess of 80 lbs.
* May be required to lift heavy and awkward objects, up to 50 lbs,
from ground level to waist level or higher, either on solid ground,
or while balancing (ex. On a ladder).
* Frequently climbs, balances, stoops, kneels, crouches, crawls,
reaches and handles while performing duties in cramped and
unconventional work areas.
* Oral and auditory capacity enabling interpersonal
* Auditory capacity to endure long-term exposure to loud
* Constant use of eye, hand and finger coordination enabling the
use of tools, equipment and machinery.
* Visual capacity enabling constant operations and safe use of
equipment and vehicles.
* Ability to operate a motor vehicle in order to travel between
Position will have exposure to sometimes hazardous conditions while
working on projects at the Arapahoe County Detention Facility
(jail), and frequently to opportunities for exposure to blood and
air borne pathogens, extreme heat/cold, use of power equipment and
machinery, climbing, crawling, stooping, and loud noises.
Protective Personal Equipment provided in all situations.
Occasionally: Activity exists less than 1/3 of the time.
Frequently: Activity exists between 1/3 and 2/3 of the time.
Constantly: Activity exists more than 2/3 of the time.
Toll Free Applicant Technical Support:If you experience technical
difficulty with the NEOGOV system (i.e. uploading or attaching
documents to your online application), call NEOGOV technical
support at 855-524-5627. Helpful hints: if you are having
difficulty uploading or attaching documents to your application,
first, ensure your documents are PDF or Microsoft Word files, and
second, close the document before you attempt uploading (attaching)
Keywords: Arapahoe County, Littleton , Facility Maintenance Technician, Professions , Littleton, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!