Section 8 Inspector
Company: Littleton Housing Authority dba South Metro Housin
Posted on: June 19, 2022
The Housing Quality Standards (HQS) Inspector performs inspection
related duties within established guidelines. The incumbent must be
familiar with applicable Federal, state and local laws and agency
policies regarding tenant/landlord relationships, Section 8 Housing
Choice Voucher Program requirements, possess the ability to
exercise good judgment in areas of confidentiality and tenant
relations, and be able to deal effectively with a wide spectrum of
personnel, including colleagues, staff, government officials, board
members, landlords, tenants and prospective tenants (including
elderly, mentally and physically challenged and low-income
persons). The HQS Inspector must perform in an innovative, creative
and decisive manner with the goal of promoting the effective and
efficient operation of the agency. Strong customer service and
human relations skills are necessary as well as the ability to work
well within a team environment. Must be creative, flexible and able
to work in a fast-paced, changing environment.
The following statements are illustrative of the essential
functions of the job and do not include other nonessential or
peripheral duties that may be required. The organization retains
the right to modify or change the duties or essential functions of
the job at any time.
- Conducts annual Housing Quality Standard inspections of all
Section 8 program leased units in accordance with HUD
- Conducts initial HQS inspections for all Section 8 program leased
units in accordance with HUD regulations.
- Conducts re-inspections of failed units in accordance with HUD
- Conducts emergency inspections in accordance with HUD
regulations, as needed.
- Studies, interprets and implements HUD regulations, state and
local laws, and agency policy as they relate to resident
- Compiles reports relating to inspections as may be required.
- Coordinates inspection schedules with Housing Specialists.
- Performs other assignments and projects as assigned.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS/SUPERVISORY DUTIES:
This Position Reports to: Housing Program Manager andDirector of
This Position has Supervisory Responsibility for: None
- Requires knowledge of Housing Quality Standards requirements.
- Requires knowledge of the principles, techniques, and practices
of subsidized housing programs and program management, including
organization, management, maintenance, and operation of subsidized
units and the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program; federal
state, and local housing regulations and operation requirements;
and the ability to apply that knowledge to perform the essential
functions of the position.
- Requires solid interpersonal, oral, and written communication
skills; the ability to effectively communicate and interact with
individuals of varying social, cultural, economic, professional,
and educational backgrounds including the ability to effectively
deal with and provide counseling and advice to individuals who may
be angry, argumentative, or disagreeable, the ability to act with
tact, good judgment, and discretion, and to maintain the
confidentiality of matters, as appropriate.
- Requires the following mental abilities to perform essential job
functions: alertness, precision, ingenuity, problem-solving,
analytic ability, spatial perception, persuasiveness, auditory
discrimination, speaking ability, memory, creativity,
concentration, judgment, bilingual ability, writing ability,
reasoning, imagination, initiative, patience, and visual
- Requires the ability to read and understand written information.
Ability to compose information and instructions in written
- Requires the ability to translate verbal communication into
effective written materials; e.g. reports and other documents.
- The ability to speak one or more foreign language is helpful,
- Requires completion of high school or equivalent.
- Requires a valid Colorado driver's license and a qualifying
driver's history as provided by the Personnel Policies and
Procedures of South Metro Housing Options
- Requires HQS certification from an accredited housing
organization, such as Quadel, NAHRO, AHMA or NCHM.
- Requires a minimum of two years progressively responsible work
experience in a public housing authority that includes program
- Requires an equivalent combination of education, formal training
or work experience that produces the knowledge, skill, and
abilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
MATERIALS AND EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
Personal computer with word processing software or other assigned
office software; 10-key calculator, telephone, fax machine, and
WORKING ENVIRONMENTAL/PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
- Requires the following physical activities to perform essential
job functions: occasionally lifting and carrying objects weighing
up to 50 pounds; occasionally pushing and pulling objects,
occasionally climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching,
reaching, handling, fingering, and feeling to access files, work
products, boxes, cabinets, supplies, and other objects; frequent
handling and fingering to operate computers and equipment; constant
ordinary talking and hearing voice communications in-person and by
telephone; occasional smelling to detect smoke or other health
hazards; constant seeing with near acuity and occasionally far
acuity, depth perception, accommodation, vision, and field of
vision to operate a person computer and other office equipment,
prepare reports, and inspect housing units.
- Approximately 15% of this work is performed while sitting, 45%
while standing, and 40% while walking. Approximately 10% of this
work is performed indoors in a standard office environment or in
subsidized housing units; approximately 90% of this work is
performed outdoors while traveling to housing units or inspecting
the care and maintenance of housing units. Outdoor work and travel
includes exposure to prevailing weather conditions.
- This position requires moderate physical activity to handle
objects up to 50 pounds occasionally and/or up to 20 pounds
Scope of Projects:
Inspections of up to all of South Metro Housing Options housing
Responsible for operating within approved annual budgets. The
incumbent works in a standard office environment. Work assignments
include a variety of routine and non-routine tasks which may or may
not be covered by standard office and/or departmental procedures.
The responsibility of the position requires accuracy and attention
to detail. Errors may result in inconvenience, embarrassment, ill
will, or monetary loss to the agency. Incumbent must have a valid
Colorado driver's license and a vehicle for use on inspections.
Mileage is reimbursable.
FLSA CLASSIFICATION - Non-Exempt
Keywords: Littleton Housing Authority dba South Metro Housin, Littleton , Section 8 Inspector, Other , Littleton, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!