Position: Water Safety Instructor
Rate: $14.63 per hour
Under the general direction of the Aquatic Recreation Specialist
in charge of swim lessons, the Assistant Recreation Specialist-
Aquatics and the close supervision of the Pool Manager, this
position is responsible for overall swim instruction. The position
will keep accurate attendance records, develop lesson plans and
distribute progress reports to all swimmers, as well as evaluate
and assess skill level and progress of all swimmer. The job may
require shifts ranging from morning to evening hours and
- Administer proper swim lessons by instructing classes as
- Responsible for recording attendance and progress of each
participant. Distribute lesson report cards and encourage
participants to register for next session.
- Inform parents if any difficulties arise and keep them informed
of accomplishments of students.
- Prepare for lessons by writing lesson plans in advance and
ensure all equipment necessary for the lesson is available;
responsible for putting all equipment away after lessons.
- Be prepared, creative and energized when teaching.
- Provide a safe learning environment; keeps students in line of
vision at all times/never turn back on class; enforce safety rules,
policies, and regulations.
- Should be in water part of class with every level and in at all
times with beginning levels.
- Encourage students and parents to practice in between
- Recognize emergency and dangerous situations by reacting
quickly and calmly. Completes Accident/Incident report.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings, in-service trainings,
orientations and emergency drills.
- Respond to public inquiries in a courteous manner; provide
information within the area of assignment; resolve complaints in an
efficient and timely manner.
- Correct or inform supervisor of any facility hazards;
communicate issues/complaints to supervisor as needed.
- Attend work on a regular, reliable and punctual basis; subs for
co-workers when available; is responsible for securing substitutes
for shifts unable to work.
- Assist in training and mentoring new swim lesson staff &
- Support the learn-to-swim program by leading and/or assisting
lesson instructor workshops
Experience and Skills
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Must be at least sixteen (16) years of age.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Current Water Safety Instructor Certification required
- Current CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid
certifications required, or the ability to obtain within 6
MATERIAL AND EQUIPMENT USED:
General knowledge of instructional swimming tools (i.e.
95% of the work is done primarily in hot, humid environment.
During summer months, work may be at an outdoor facility and will
include exposure to all types of weather. Exposure to chemically
treated water for a minimum of 4 hours per day. Must be able to
work in an environment with poor acoustics and an array of
distractions, i.e. music, weather conditions, etc.
Must be able to push, pull or balance. Upper body strength is a
requisite to lift/move a maximum of 50 pounds unassisted, and
lift/move a maximum of 200 pounds with assistance. Specific vision
abilities required by this job include close vision, distance
vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and
ability to adjust focus. Requires sense of smell and touch. Hearing
must be adequate to hear patrons/co-workers communications up to 25
yards away. Must be able to frequently sit, stand, walk, climb,
bend, kneel, stoop, reach and lift, exhibit manual dexterity and
the ability to handle objects. Requires the ability to communicate
verbally with both children and adults. The ability to talk and
hear via the telephone, e-mail, and through face-to-face
communication is needed.
As a Part-Time Foothills employee, benefits include:
- Competitive pay
- Flexible schedule
- FREE use of our recreation/fitness centers, swimming pools, and
- Discounts on recreation classes and golf
- Wellness Program
- Scholarship Program
Creating Community, Enhancing Health, Inspiring Play! We fulfill
our mission by providing a variety of recreational services,
programs and activities for both youth and adults. We operate three
recreation centers, two golf courses, a two-sheet ice arena,
swimming pools, and two indoor sports facilities. In addition, we
maintain 68 park sites and over 30 miles in trails. Joining our
team means you will contribute to the well-being of your