Assistant General Counsel
Company: Tallgrass Energy Partners, LP
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Salary Range: $145,000- $175,000 annually, based on
qualifications and experience.
Operating across 11 states, Tallgrass is a leading energy and
infrastructure company with transportation, storage, terminal,
water, gathering and processing assets that serve some of the
nation's most prolific crude oil and natural gas basins.
We were named to Colorado's Top Workplaces list for the past six
consecutive years. Tallgrass strives to create an environment where
all employees feel they are safe, respected, that their
contributions are valued, have equal access to growth and
development opportunities. Our Total Rewards Package is
comprehensive and competitive - designed to meet the needs of our
employees and their families. We offer our employees competitive
base pay; an annual bonus; paid time off for vacation, sick time,
holidays, bereavement and caregiver leave; Health, Dental, and
Vision insurance; a generous 401K savings plan; company-paid Life
insurance, Short- and Long-Term Disability insurance; Flexible
Spending and Health Savings Accounts; Employee Assistance Programs;
Education/Training Assistance; Wellness Program; Identity Theft
Protection; and Critical Illness and Accident insurance.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES OF SENIOR ATTORNEY OR ASSISTANT GENERAL
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF SENIOR ATTORNEY OR ASSISTANT GENERAL
Provide legal support and counsel in the areas of claims
management and dispute resolution, procurement and non-commercial
contracting, employment and HR, insurance and risk management,
construction contracting and project support, and special projects.
Direct the defense of the company against suits or claims and
coordinate the prosecution of the Company's claims.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as key internal legal resource on all company claims and
- Function as a liaison between outside attorneys and in-house
staff. Directs cases through litigation cycle, reviews new files
for coverage and liability issues, and develops a cost-effective
- Consults with General Counsel and other senior management to
resolve issues and decide settlements.
- Facilitate and oversee outside counsel and expert witnesses in
dispute resolution proceedings including litigation, arbitration,
and mediation. Coordinate with and work with outside counsel on any
of the foregoing matters.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings, other internal
meetings and meetings with outside counsel and opposing parties and
- Negotiate or assist in negotiating the resolution of complex
- Assist on a secondary basis Project Management and Operations
with their projects by hiring outside counsel or other resources,
where needed, and preparing and reviewing facilities agreements,
equipment purchases, and litigation matters with other Tallgrass
attorneys whose primary responsibility is to Project Management and
Operations for the Tallgrass gas pipelines.
- Provide legal counsel and guidance in the ordinary and special
activities of the corporation to ensure maximum protection of its
legal rights and to maintain its operations within the limits
prescribed by law.
- Direct the defense of the corporation against suits or claims
and prepares the prosecution of the corporation's claims against
- Prepare litigation reports / presentations and brief the
General Counsel as requested on all open litigation matters.
- Work with other Legal Department lawyers, and work
independently with other internal departments, to provide legal
advice and work product in a wide variety of matters involving
claims, disputes and litigation matters, employment matters, and
- Assist with and/or represent company in submittals and meetings
with state and federal agencies.
- Resolve customer disputes.
- Deal with a wide variety of people with tact, courtesy and
- Speak clearly, both in person and by telephone, using a high
level of verbal skills and listen carefully.
- Maintain a regular, dependable attendance and a consistently
high level of performance.
- Work non-traditional hours as needed.
- Maintain a high regard for personal safety, for the safety of
company assets and employees, and the public.
- Other daily, weekly, monthly or special project duties as
identified and defined.
- Other duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS OF SENIOR ATTORNEY OR ASSISTANT GENERAL
- Juris Doctor from an accredited institution.
- A minimum of seven years' experience, in-house or private
practice, supporting corporate and business operations.
- Significant experience with commercial dispute resolution and
litigation, particularly in the areas of construction and
- Experience reviewing, negotiating, and drafting procurement and
- A working understanding of risk management and commercial
- Familiarity with federal and (as applicable to the Company)
state employment laws and regulations.
- Intermediate proficiency level in MS Office applications that
may include but are not limited to Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES & REGISTRATIONS:
- Must be licensed to practice law in the U.S.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license and a
driving record satisfactory to the company and its insurers (for
COMPETENCIES, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Strong analytical skills and logical thought processes, with
the ability to identify potential legal, regulatory or compliance
- Ability to organize and prioritize daily work and maintain
- Ability to work independently as well as the ability to work
well in a team environment. take direction from management, adhere
to required work schedules, focus attention on details, and follow
- Ability to successfully perform multiple tasks with strict
- Ability to organize and prioritize daily work.
All of the physical requirements listed below are those that may
be necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential
functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
- Sitting; standing; walking or moving throughout facility;
driving; talking; seeing (specific vision abilities required by
this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision,
peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus);
hearing; feeling; bending or stooping; squatting or crouching;
reaching; kneeling; pushing; pulling; lifting up to 25 lbs.
- Minimal safety hazards; general office working conditions.
- Must be able to sit for prolonged periods of time.
- The employee is regularly required to use hands to type, touch,
handle, or feel. The employee is required to talk and hear. The
employee is frequently required to stand and reach with hands and
arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk and climb or
balance. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10
pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Occasional overnight travel may be required.
- Required to carry a cell phone and be available to respond
during working and non-working hours.
- The successful candidate will be required to clear a drug
screen and a complete background check, including credit report for
certain positions, after an offer has been extended and prior to
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATIONS, COMPETENCIES,
SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
Above the minimum requirements, not required but advantageous in
- Ten (10) years' experience supporting corporate and business
- Experience in the energy transportation field primarily liquids
and bulk terminals, products pipelines, and natural gas
- Previous experience working in-house with an interstate gas
- Employment law experience.
- Top 25% of graduating class.
- Previous experience working in energy, pipeline or other highly
regulated business environments.
- Licensed to practice law in Colorado and Kansas.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of
work being performed. This position may perform other duties as
JOB LEVEL AND COMPENSATION
Job level and compensation commensurate with experience and
skill sets; position will be filled depending on qualifications,
experience and skill sets of the successful candidate.
Tallgrass Energy Partners, LP is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified applicants are considered for positions without regard to
race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship
status, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental
disability or any other legally protected status. EOE/M/F/D/V
Keywords: Tallgrass Energy Partners, LP, Littleton , Assistant General Counsel, Other , littleton, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!